Children & Youth with Special Health Care Needs
The Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Program, referred to in Missouri State Statute as “Crippled Children’s Service (CCS),” provides assistance statewide for children birth to age 21 who meet medical and financial eligibility guidelines. The Program focuses on early identification and service coordination of children with special needs and their families. Children with special health care needs are those children who have, or are at increased risk for a disease, defect or medical condition that may hinder the achievement of normal physical growth and development.
The participant must be:
- Be a Missouri resident
- Be birth to age 21
- Have an eligible special health care need (conditions such as Cerebral Palsy, Cystic Fibrosis, Cleft Lip and Palate, Hearing Disorders, Hemophilia, paraplegia, Quadriplegia, Seizures, Spina Bifida, and Traumatic Brain Injury)
- Meet financial guidelines for funded services
The CHSCN Program provides two primary services:
- Service coordination, which includes
- Outreach/Identification and Referral/Application
- Eligibility Determination
- Assessment of Needs
- Coordination of services through resource identification and referral
- Family support
- Service Plan Development/Implementation
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Limited funding for services as payer of last resort.
Service coordination is provided to all CSHCN Program participants, regardless of financial status. Limited funding is available to participants who are medically eligible for the CSHCN Program, and whose family income is at or below 185% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
The Department of Health and Senior Services is payer of last resort. The Service Coordinator will assist the participant/family with identification and access to other payment sources before submitting requests for use of CSHCN Program funds. The CSHCN Program will be billed only after all third party sources have been exhausted.
The service coordinator can be reached at 573-785-1013 or 1-800-747-6818.